Thermostat Installation, Repair & Replacement
A thermostat — especially a smart thermostat — controls the whole HVAC system.
Thermostats rarely get the credit they deserve. They’re usually overlooked, but they’re among the most important components of a heating and cooling system.
They do a yeoman’s job of assuring comfort, convenience, and energy efficiency. When choosing a thermostat, you should consider:
- The type, brand, and age of equipment connected to your thermostat.
- Your schedule: Are you always home, or are you often away?
- Ease of use.
- Degree of automation. Do you enjoy controlling everything from the master console of your smartphone, or do you prefer something old school, like a dial thermostat?
- Zoning. Do you live in a two-story home where it’s always much warmer upstairs than downstairs? A dual thermostat configuration with area zoning may be the answer.
More Than You Ever Wanted to Know about Thermostats
There are literally thousands of different thermostats on the market, but all belong in a few basic categories.
These are the tried and true thermostats many of us remember from grandma’s house. They offered no bells or whistles, but they’re incredibly easy to operate. You flipped the “on” switch, turn the temperature dial, and voilà! — instant heat or air conditioning. In some homes and offices, bitter thermostat wars erupted as the dial was moved up or down, depending on one’s air temperature preference.
Digital Non-Programmable Thermostats
These are manually operated just like a mechanical thermostat. The big difference is that they sport a digital readout with a bright LCD display — so bright, in fact, that when someone has messed with the thermostat setting, you can often spot it from across the room. Digital thermostats are slightly less intuitive than a simple dial, but likewise easy to adjust.
Digital Programmable Thermostats
Programmable thermostats make the most sense for most people in modern homes. While they can be a pain to configure, and you may need a manual to take you through the steps, the beauty of a programmable thermostat is that it’s “set and forget.” Once programmed, the only switch you may ever touch is the on and off switch. Or you can let the thermostat dictate when to turn on or off the heating and air conditioning, and never touch the controls again.
Most of us follow a routine: out of the house from 7 AM to 6 PM weekdays, home on weekends, in bed from 10 PM to 6 AM, and so on. With a programmable thermostat, you can turn down the temperatures at night for sleep, pause the entire system when you’re away, and so on. You can program the thermostat for optimal comfort and energy efficiency.
If programming a thermostat remains something of a mystery to you, we can do it for you. We don’t need the manual.
Smart Programmable Thermostats
Smart thermostats are gaining in popularity as prices continue to drop. These can be programmed and monitored from an app on your computer, smartphone, or tablet. All are Bluetooth or internet-connected; some models can even be controlled by Amazon Echo, Google Home, or another voice-enabled device.
These ultra-smart thermostats offer the benefit of programmable heating and cooling but don’t need you to enter a schedule. They’ll create their own schedule based on the temperature settings you prefer, essentially learning your preferences based on patterns of behavior.
They can turn themselves down automatically when you leave the house and guide you to more energy-efficient settings. They’re connected to your home wi-fi network and can be monitored and managed remotely.
“Only charged the $99 service call!“
Palm Springs, CA
Omar & Adrian were FANTASTIC!! We had another of the “big firms in the valley”, who advertise a lot in Palm Springs, and they failed to respond to the specific request and my “amateur” diagnosis I had done by searching the web. They charged $400 to do, basically, NOTHING!
Omar understood exactly what I was explaining, went directly to the wiring problem and rewired the NEST thermostat and the termination point on our package unit. Only charged the $99 service call since it was a straight-forward fix!! And, they were very friendly and courteous!!
BWR is now our new go-to for all HVAC problems (we have one large package unit and 2 “split” units). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
Temperature Zoning Your Home
Commercial buildings are zoned for climate control — that is, each business within the building has the ability to set a preferred office temperature, and even within each office, there may be multiple thermostats to keep some areas warmer or cooler than others.
Did you know that you can do the same thing in your own home? A temperature zoning system is especially useful in homes where:
- One part of the house has a much warmer or cooler exposure (i.e, upstairs vs downstairs).
- An area of the house receives less circulation.
- Different people have very different temperature preferences.
End the thermostat wars! By zoning your home, you can:
- Be much more comfortable.
- Save on energy bills, as warm or cool air is distributed more efficiently.
- Enjoy more peace and quiet. Your AC won’t be running constantly during the summer!
To learn more, please contact BWR Heating & Cooling for a free consultation.
So Many Thermostats, So Many Choices
Given the sheer number and type of thermostats available today, choosing the right thermostat for your home and budget can be a daunting task. That’s where BWR comes in. With over two decades of experience in heating and cooling, we can help you find the right thermostat for your home, your heating and cooling system, your budget, and your lifestyle.
We can sell you that thermostat, eliminating a waiting period or a trip to the store, install it for you the very same day, and configure it to keep you in comfort.
Why BWR & Not the Box Store, the Plumber, or the Fix-It Guy?
The contractor who installs your heating and cooling system is responsible for all warranties, including labor and materials.
Suppose you purchase a pricey HVAC appliance, only to discover that the seller has subcontracted installation to someone who arrives in an unmarked vehicle? Are you still confident the job will be done right?
Subcontractors are normally paid piece work. The faster they work, the more money they make. Shortcuts become a virtual certainty. Jobs are rushed.
Then there’s the question of liability and workman’s compensation. If something goes wrong and the subcontractor is underinsured, you the homeowner could be liable. So much for the 50 bucks you saved at Big Jim’s Cut-Rate Appliance last weekend.
All BWR team members have passed drug and background checks. They’ll show up on time in a marked BWR vehicle and wearing a BWR uniform. They’re trained to respect your property and your home, always removing debris when the job is complete.
Need More Reasons? Here You Go…
- BWR Heating & Cooling is an authorized dealer of major, trusted brands of heating, air conditioning, and HVAC equipment.
- We specialize in air conditioners, furnaces, and HVAC appliances. We don’t do anything else!
We guarantee all work, parts and labor.
- We’ve been installing and repairing heating and cooling systems in Southern California for two decades.
- We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- All BWR technicians are certified, licensed, bonded, and insured. We don’t hire subcontractors to do the dirty work for us.
- Our technicians average 5 years of work experience in HVAC, heating, and air conditioning.
- Technicians receive 75 hours of additional technical and customer service training per year.